Saturday, July 14, 2012

Lost in paperwork

I promise, this whole blog won't be about paperwork! But, that's what I've been buried in during the past week. I've put off doing most other things to make some progress. It seems like a lot when you look at it all at once and when I first looked at the information that the homestudy agency sent, I was feeling overwhelmed. But, most of it isn't too difficult, just time consuming.

We had our Live Scan fingerprints done on Tuesday and started our online adoption education. We're required to do 10 hours for our homestudy and our child placing agency wants us to take another class that's 4 hours. We haven't made much progress with that because Justin and I have to do it together and it's been a busy week! The adoption education reminds me of my continuing education I have to do every 2 years for my nursing license. Meaning that the "contact hours" you receive for doing it usually take me less actual hours; I'm a fast reader! That reminds me...it just seems like yesterday that I renewed my RN license and I have to do it again next July. Maybe I should start working on that now so I don't have to try to cram in 30 hours next July when this year flys by! Even though I'm not working as an RN, it's so easy to keep my license and CPR certification up to date, so I have no plan to let it lapse. That way I can work if I need or want to at any point.

Okay, a little off topic there. The parts of our homestudy paperwork we have left to complete are: our medical exams, getting our 4 reference letters, finishing our education, a resource form, and our personal history forms. I've been working on the personal history form a little at a time. It's the only paperwork that requires some real thought and reflection. It asks about your childhood, relationship with your parents, what you don't like about your spouse; it's like a therapy session! I know that still seems like a lot but believe me, if you saw the list we had to complete, you would agree that we've made a lot of progress in only one week! We're still waiting to hear from our actual social worker so we can schedule our first visit. And because I haven't heard from the social worker, I'm waiting to send in the Reece's Rainbow paperwork.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Justin and Melissa! What a precious daughter God is bringing you. I have eagerly been anticipating the day your profile would be posted on the New Commitments page at RR! My name is Kristina, and I was a prayer warrior for your precious little girl, through RR. I didn't see a contact for you, but I would really love to share with you how God blessed us through your beautiful little one and to see if we can help you in any way as you start this journey. If you'd be willing to let me contact you, you can email me at kristinafaleskin@yahoo.com. God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete