Monday, March 11, 2013

The past 2 months...

I wasn't sure what I should title this post. Maybe "when bad politics affects you personally". Or "when you are waiting for news that never really comes". Or "Rus*ian politicians who make you want to tear your hair out" and "Could they be any crazier? Yes, they can!" But, I think the title I chose is a little more diplomatic. Even though I am pretty much over being diplomatic. Rus*ian politicians are enjoying making the U.S. their chosen enemy at this point and we don't see that changing any time soon. I won't go into all the political wranglings because the details aren't really that important. The bottom line is not much has changed since this country signed their law at the end of December banning adoptions by U.S. citizens. But, the political climate seems to be getting worse by the week.

So, what have we been doing for the past two months? Communicating with our placing agency, who happens to be one of the few that is continuing to attempt to work in Rus*ia. They have asked us to send them documents here and here and we have dutifully done it. Will it make a difference? Realistically no. We've been on numerous conference calls with the U.S State Dept. as they try to do what they can to advocate for the many families who are caught up in this mess. And we've read hundreds of news articles from various U.S. and international news sources so we can stay current on the situation.

So, what is the result of all of this? Well, it remains very unlikely at this point that we will be able to adopt Hadley. The political situation between the U.S. and Rus*ia remains volatile. And it seems to be continuing down that road. The Rus*ian politicians are now twisting the purpose of this ban from a retaliation for the Magnitsky Act to "we are trying to protect our children", which we all of know is a lie. They are using the 20 children that unfortunately have died since being adopted by U.S. families to perpetrate this lie. Even if the U.S. repealed the Magnitsky Act (which they aren't planning on doing), I don't think that Rus*ia would repeal this ban. Justin and I are getting tired of Rus*ia's twisted politics and so we are choosing to begin to tune out a lot of it. When and if things change in Rus*ia, we will move heaven and earth to get on a plane to Rus*ia to complete our adoption, but at this time, it's just not going to happen.

Everyday, we think about our girls. Abby is in a safe place, but Hadley isn't. Right now, Hadley's future seems grim. I hate even thinking about it because it sends me to a dark place where I imagine the worst for her. And it makes me desperately sad think of how she has a family that loves her and is waiting for her, yet instead she will spend her childhood growing up in an orphanage with other orphans who have been forgotten and hidden away. We are definitely not giving up on Hadley or any of Rus*ia's orphans. We will continue to fight for their freedom and their right to a family. But, we will likely be taking a different direction while we wait for something to change in Rus*ia. Rus*ia has closed their doors (for now), but there are hundreds of thousands of other orphans in the world that need a family. We plan to be the family for a least one of these children.

I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes. And a picture of our sweet Hadley.


“We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty." ~Mother Teresa

Hadley, you will always be wanted and loved!



1 comment:

  1. Heart wrenching. :(
    She is lucky that she will be in your thoughts and well wishes always.

    ReplyDelete