Anyone who know me knows that I'm a thinker. I think about everything! I over think everything! I research everything until no other new information can be uncovered. Our two cars were chosen with the endorsement of Consumer Reports. And I proudly have a subscription that I enjoy reading.
Most of the decisions I've made in my life were made by making a pros and cons list. I weighed all my options and determined which was the most logical and so I figured that must be the best decision.
But, then I starting thinking (again) about how the most important decisions I've made in my life, you know the ones that really matter, were not decisions I made by using my pros and cons list. It wasn't that I didn't think about the pros and cons, it's when it came time to make the decision, my heart was the deciding factor. What did I really want? What is truly important?
Adoption is one of those decisions. If anyone sat down and made a pros and cons list for adoption, I can tell you that the cons would probably always win. For international adoption it costs lots of money, that could be spent on a fancy new car, a down payment for a house, a very luxurious cruise around the world, or tucked away for the future. And the time it takes to fill out the reams of paperwork, have it all notarized and apostilled, and the waiting (for who knows how long) for other people to do their part in the process. And the invasion of privacy when the social worker has to learn every little thing about you during the home study. And the risk that the child we want to adopt will no longer be available for adoption when we finally get all this paperwork, money, and waiting done with. Oh, and if you don't like to travel to countries that speak another language, this would be a con for you too (this is not a con for me!).
But, then you think about the child. The child is on on the pro side. She might be the only pro. So, how do you make this decision? This decision can only be made with the heart. The heart wins because adoption is one of those decisions; the kind you make with your heart, a leap of faith, life changing and truly important.
This is a great post! What a lucky little girl she is to have parents who see her as a "pro," and as the only thing on the list that matters.
ReplyDeleteI would really like to help you get closer to your adoption. I have a soft spot in my heart for Downs Syndrome kids and special needs kids. I am a Tupperware consultant and Tupperware has a very generous Fundraising program. I have recently hosted 2 of these Fundraisers for other families adopting and they have done well. I would love to host one for your family and help you get closer to what you need for your adoption.
ReplyDeleteFundraisers Receive:
40% of the online sales totals. Tupperware will issue you one check within 2 weeks after the fundraiser closes.
Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to see if I can answer them. If you would like to set up an adoption fundraiser, just email me and let's see how much we can raise for y'all!! I'll be happy to put you in touch with the other 2 families I've worked with and answer any questions you might have.
Blessings!
Susan Godfrey
susan@susangodfrey.com